Sunday, September 22, 2013

Flood Post- Slaying the Dragon

Journal 4: Sept. 10, 2013

An abyss is the lowest part of a person/hero’s journey. It is the place of darkness and a place to face monsters (often metaphorical). Once the “dragon” is slain, transformation can occur. Explain an abyss in your life, small or big.


As a teenager, and therefore not far along my journey of life, I have never been plunged into a large, life-changing abyss, but I have experienced small ones. One of these dips occurred when I was playing little league football for the Superior Mustangs when I was 10. I started the season determined to win the championship at the end of the season, having come so close the last time I had played when I was 8. Midway through the season, though, I got a stomach virus and a knee injury directly following. The time I was out got me down into my abyss. For two weeks I couldn’t practice or play games, which, reasonably, made me feel useless, obsolete, and lost in total darkness. I was doing physical therapy and taking my medicine, but I never felt any better, and I felt like I would never get out of the abyss, or slay my monster. But I knew I had to get better sometime, as long as I kept taking medicine and, getting off my hurt knee. When I finally did get better, having faced and slain my monster, I came back to my team with an even greater ambition, and this passed to my team, as they also wanted to see me come back and succeed as a team. With our new-found drive, we got to and won the Championships of our league. Getting out of my abyss, conquering my monster, and gaining something great out of my hard work was so fulfilling and elating, and I am very glad I had the will to achieve my final goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment